Monday, October 1, 2012

Seeking Unseen by Kat Heckenbach

SEEKING UNSEEN
It may be Angel's wish...
It's been two years since Angel learned the magic chip of wood inside her locket would grant any wish. What is taking her so long to choose? An alarming discovery about her beloved foster brother Zack makes the decision easy...but everything else gets complicated after she runs into her old friend Melinda, who demands to go along for the return to Toch Island.
...but it's Melinda's journey.
Melinda doesn't fit in with the magical freaks any more than she did with the losers back in Florida, but she never wanted to belong before. A secret world surrounds her where even the bugs have magic... She's more of an outsider than ever. So when ex-con Doran Ashe slinks out of the shadows and offers her an easy road to powers of her own, Melinda follows him despite-or maybe because of-everyone's warnings.

MY THOUGHTS:
When I first started reading Seeking Unseen, the sequel to Finding Angel, my stomach was a nervous mess of butterflies (or maybe Nazguls, given how I felt). I loved Finding Angel so very much that I was afraid the sequel would let me down horribly.
I should've trusted Kat Heckenbach more than that.
Seeking Unseen started a little slow, but things began to pop when Angel's adopted brother Zach and friend Melinda join her on Toch Island. Seeing the island through Melinda's eyes was fun, and I loved how Horatio and Kalek both had bigger parts to play...especially Kalek.
Melinda's disobedience and acting out annoyed me, but I also completely understood her motivations for it and found her as believable as the rest of the characters. Ayden was a sweet addition to the group as well. I enjoyed his and Angel's budding romance and the more "grown-up but still young" tone it brought to the book, even though (*sniff*) it made me realize some of my favorite characters were growing up. (How silly is that?)
I think that Toch Island has officially made it to my list of fantasy worlds to visit (in fact, it is right up there with Narnia). Oh yes, and the closing line of the book? Utterly and completely brilliant.
In sum, Kat Heckenbach has again brought us a beautiful and fun fantasy that all ages would enjoy. She did not disappoint, and I love Seeking Unseen just as much as I loved Finding Angel.
Rating: five out of five stars

1 responses:

Kat Heckenbach said...

Thank you so much, Heather!

And I have to admit--I was as nervous as you about the response I'd get, afraid I'd be disappointing readers who loved Finding Angel :). I'm so thrilled that hasn't been the case!

(And I'm glad Kalek was in this one more, too :D.)

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus