Monday, September 10, 2012

Novel Spotlight: Star of Justice by Robynn Tolbert

STORYLINE: She joined the knighthood for the scholarship program... A thwarted assassination attempt drags Caissa Ocren into a secret war between elemental spirits and dragon worshippers. More accustomed to solving puzzles than wielding swords, she undergoes a crash course in survival from a mercenary minstrel, a shape-shifting druid, and a legendary spirit warrior. An ancient book may hold the answers she seeks, but understanding requires the memories of a wizard. With time against her, Caissa faces the hardest lesson of all - how to serve when the cost is her life.

MY THOUGHTS:

Oh my goodness.

I'm really not sure why I liked this book as much as I do. Really, I should dislike it. There are many (maaaany) off-color comments by the characters. One of Caissa's talents is (though never explicitly detailed) swearing worse than a sailor. And several of the characters are seen naked or nearly so.

But I did like this book.

The characters were very well-drawn and each had an outrageously unique personality. Readers of Star of Justice will not forget these characters in a hurry, especially the one I nicknamed The Man I Want to Strangle...otherwise known as Merritt. There are quite a few humorous situations that had me laughing aloud.

The plot is twisting and fun, with plenty of action and quite a few surprises. I loved how Robynn twisted a typical fantasy world to include some science fiction elements. Her writing style is perfectly suited to Caissa's scholarly mind, and I loved the faith that was woven throughout.

Besides the things I mentioned above, one part of the plot drove me insane. Merritt and Caissa's relationship. Though he made me laugh, I thought Merritt was a total jerk and that he so did not deserve a romantic relationship with Caissa. I kept wanting to push them apart and smack Merritt over the head. However...the ending of the book was beautiful. My opinion of Merritt rose in leaps and bounds throughout the final few chapters.

This is definitely not a family book, nor is it one for younger readers. I'd only give it to 18-year-olds that were quite mature. Overall, however, I really did enjoy it.

Rating: Four out of five stars

3 responses:

Kat Heckenbach said...

I love this book! I agree that Robynn's characterization skills are amazing. I found Merritt frustrating, too, but in a likable way :), and yes, there were times I wanted to smack him, but toward the end you can't help but find yourself cheering for him.

Robynn Tolbert said...

Totally missed this on Monday.

Thanks for the review!

Robynn Tolbert said...

I did think of one question.

Do you have a favorite character?

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus