Monday, August 6, 2012

Angel Eyes by Shannon Dittemore

STORYLINE:

Once you've seen, you can't unsee. Everything changes when you've looked at the world through . . . 
Angel Eyes

Brielle's a ballerina who went to the city to chase her dreams and found tragedy instead. She's come home to shabby little Stratus, Oregon, to live with her grief and her guilt . . . and the incredible, numbing cold she can't seem to shake. 
Jake's the new guy at school. The boy next door with burning hands and an unbelievable gift that targets him for corruption.
Something more than fate has brought them together. An evil bigger than both of them lurks in the shadows nearby, hiding in plain sight. Two angels stand guard, unsure what's going to happen. And a beauty brighter than either Brielle or Jake has ever seen is calling them to join the battle in a realm where all human choices start.
A realm that only angels and demons-and Brielle-can perceive.


MY THOUGHTS:

The almost lyrical prose threw me off a little in the first chapter, simply because I wasn't expecting it in a YA book. I especially loved the descriptions of Brielle's emotions and feelings throughout the book.
Normally, I roll my eyes at teen romance, but in Angel Eyes, I was rooting for Jake and Brielle to be together from the start. I knew he would be good for her, and I thought Jake's determination to take care of and fight for Brielle was incredibly sweet, something more teen romances books could benefit from.
Of course, being teen romance, we have to have some of the prerequisite he's so hot moments, though because of Jake's gift, most of those turned into humorous moments that they ended up laughing about.

There were a couple of plot points that blew me away and a couple that left me feeling meh. One of the things I disliked the most was how powerless I felt the Christian characters were against the demons. The whole demon plot of "Jake has a powerful gift, so let's turn him to evil" felt a little flabby compared to the rest of the book.

And again with the romance, we have the kisses--and I know I'm probably the only person who thinks this, but I'd love to see a teen romance where the characters (especially ones as dedicated to each other as Jake and Brielle) save their first kiss for their wedding day. It would definitely be unique.

Altogether though, I really enjoyed this book. I thought that it was unique in the realm of supernatural fiction,  very age-appropriate and I wouldn't hesitate to hand it off to a 15 or 16-year-old. I eagerly look forward to book two, Broken Wings!

Rating: four out of five stars

**I received this book for free from Thomas Nelson in exchange for my honest review**

0 responses:

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus