Monday, July 30, 2012

The Earth Painter by Melissa Turner Lee

STORYLINE:

When a self-conscious young woman discovers that the boy in drama class is really an immortal that painted the world into being, she becomes the target of another who could shatter not only her new sense of hope, but her world, as well.

MY THOUGHTS:

I snagged this book for free and, to be honest, wasn't expecting a ton from it. It was touted as paranormal romance, which I usually avoid like the plague. It pleasantly surprised me. I rather enjoyed it. 

Theo, who is the titular character of the Earth Painter, is cool. I liked how protective he was of Holly and how artsy-vague he could get at times, even though at times I rolled my eyes at the teen romance. I like how he and the Sciences always argued about his paintings and whether or not they would work in the real world, and how they used card games to determine whether or not Theo would get his way. The concept of immortal Painters and Sciences working together on the earth under the direction of a divine Sculptor was an interesting take on the Creation story--it reminded me a little of Tolkien's creation mythology for Middle Earth.

The things that annoyed me were few, but ever-present in the novel. I didn't think Holly asked enough questions. I thought the book needed a bit more polishing, though not enough so that it heavily distracted from the story. Probably the biggest issue I had was how Holly's mom constantly threw pouty fits. I got that she was spoiled as a child and used to having her own way and not used to having her 18-year-old daughter make her own decisions. But it got a bit old after a while. I know that was the point, but I tended to skim the angsty parts, as I never cared for angst and drama even as a teenager.

I would feel comfortable handing it over to a sixteen or seventeen year old girl. It would be a decent read for them, and I plan to get the next book in the series.

Rating: three out of five stars

0 responses:

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus