Friday, June 8, 2012

May Writing Report and Excerpts

Forged Steel: Still not progressing very fast. I've been stuck on it for a while and finally got a brainstorming session in with my friend Mary. Now that I know where I'm going with it, I plan to finish it by the middle of June.
Excerpt:
Eliaster pulled his sword out of the giant's back. "Thought I told you to run."

I rubbed my neck. "Goliath decided to clothesline me."

He wiped his blade on the guy's back and slammed it home into the sheath. "With a little training, you might make a decent swordsman."

"Oh, wonderful, I'm so glad the expert took time to notice my fighting," I said.

Eliaster shrugged and started off up the street. I looked back. Four bodies lay piled in the street, fae and humans skirting around the puddles of blood and pretending the bodies didn't exist.

My stomach shuddered. This was life in the Underworld. For a moment, I felt bile in the back of my throat.

"C'mon, Josh!" Eliaster called.  

I couldn't get sick in front of him. I swallowed and wobbled up the street.


Half Blood: Some brainstorming, that's about it. Once Forged Steel is finished, I'm diving back into the rewrite.


Short stories: I wrote and finished two this month, Flesh Eyes (an alternative history/steampunk story) and Healing the Sky (I think the only genre I could really define it as is science fantasy). Healing the Sky will appear in the print anthology of Alternative Witness, which should be coming out within the next few months.

I've had more ideas for short stories set in both worlds, and I'm thinking about posting them on my blog, Apricotpie or Figment. I'll keep you posted as my ideas on that develop.

Healing the Sky excerpt: The wolf barked.
"I know this sounds crazy, but she's talking to me. I can hear her, in my head. She's saying we have to follow her."
"You're lying," I snapped. "Talking to animals is a fairytale. No one can do that."
"I can," he shot back. "That's how I noticed the crows. I heard them talking as they burst out of the sky."
I took a step from under the tree, and a crow clacked its beak. There was no way I could get back without them pouncing on me. I stepped back in, glanced at Liam.
"Please believe me," he said.
Which was worse—a madman or those crows? I took a deep breath, tried to still my quivering voice. "Fine, Fluffy. Lead on."


Flesh Eyes excerpt: I pushed my hands deep into my pockets and felt my fingers start curling into balls. Hebron stared calmly at Ranger, his own hands hanging loose at his sides.

"You're half metal," he said suddenly, startling both me and Ranger.

Ranger settled back down on his crate, propping his elbows on his knees. "I've been living with myself for the past two years this way. How observant of you."

2 responses:

Mary Ruth Pursselley said...

I love all these excerpts. Can't wait to read the whole thing - of all of them! (hint, hint)

Lostariel said...

Moooooore.

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus