Monday, November 7, 2011

October Update--work on the stuff I'm NOT supposed to be working on ;)

So October was probably the best month I've ever had, writing-wise. Unfortunately it wasn't on much that I needed to get done. :)

I edited several flash fiction pieces, one of which went to Avenir Eclectia. The others, I'm not sure where the home for them is quite yet. There's an anthology idea being kicked around but I'm not sure if it will come to fruition or not. I also wrote a short story set in a colleague's story-universe, and just got the edits back on that.

Mary, LoriAnn & I worked on Falls the Shadow, mostly editing. Posts are scheduled through the end of the year, thankfully--we cut it a little close once or twice.

I was supposed to work on Half Blood. And I did. Some. I got stuck halfway through October at about 32K and decided that I was tired of it, that I needed a break. I want this draft to turn out good, unlike all my other rewrites, so I figure there's no sense in rushing it (although I think I have one or two people about ready to kill me or at least chase after me with pitchforks and torches because I'm taking so long.) The good news is that I'm unstuck. The bad news is, I'm not going to work on it for a while longer yet.

So what did I do in October? Well, a Facebook group I'm a member of was having a contest, and I thought, "Oh, I'll come up with a story for it." I'd already had a tiny bit of a story idea in my head, ever since I read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman earlier this year (I don't recommend it by the way--while it was a fascinating urban fantasy there was just way too much foul language) about a kid who got accidentally pulled into an urban fantasy quest by his best friend. It was originally supposed to be funny.

It exploded. From a short story to a novella (I knew when I hit 7K and the hero had just gotten his hands on the treasure map that the short story thing wouldn't work any more) to a trilogy of novellas, collectively called The Underworld Mythos. Working title of the one I'm writing now is Dragged Underworld, but I'm brainstorming new ones. I want to get a color thing going for the titles, because for some reason I want the second one to be called Burnt Silver. Maybe Underworld Green? Errr...or not... So...yeah...that makes this 5 novellas for the year (counting Dreamwalker and Bargain with an Elf)...just call this The Year of the Novella, I s'pose. :)

As you know from last Tuesday's post, A Bargain with an Elf and Dragged Underworld are my two NaNo projects.

So what else am I doing in November?... We get to spend Thanksgiving week with family--yay! :D I'm going to pick up my flute and my brother's old viola and start teaching myself viola and--if I get good enough--join my church's worship group. Oh yes, and there's the church pie contest. I won last year, so we'll see how this year goes. :) And I've started training for a half-marathon with some ladies from my church. Normally I'd shy away from any sort of running, but I need to get back in shape and this provides the perfect accountability to do it. Wouldn't kill me to drop 10 or 15 pounds.

So I have a fairly busy month ahead of me! :) Somewhere in there I'll find time to write at least one more Avenir Eclectia story, and edit that short story. Oh yeah, and work on Half Blood.

Riiiiight. ;)

3 responses:

Galadriel said...

You can do it!

Lostariel said...

Ohhhhh, that sounds like SO much fun. So many projects! *drools a bit* Of course, I have lots of projects too, but I'm still in school. Sweet sneakers, do I wish I could spend a summer in the UP with you, writing ALL THE TIME! :P :) LOL.

H. A. Titus said...

@Galadriel: Thanks! :)

@Lostariel: That would be awesome! Unfortunately I can already tell you that we wouldn't get much writing done--we'd get plenty of swimming, jetskiing, hiking, making sandcastles, biking, and playing done, but no writing. ;)
(BTW, love that phrase, "sweet sneakers". LOL)

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus