Monday, November 21, 2011

Meet the Author: Follow-up Interview with Rebecca P. Minor


Last week I spotlighted the new fantasy novella The Windrider: Divine Summons. You guys may remember me talking about this serial before, in an interview I did back in March. Now Becky--sorry, Rebecca P. Minor--is back with a follow-up interview!

Rebecca Minor draws narrative experience from a BFA in animation from the University of the Arts in Philadelphia, PA. Since her graduation in 1997, she has worked as a game animator, freelance artist, full-time mom, teacher, and sheet music customer service representative. She is the author of The Windrider Saga, serial fantasy fiction from Diminished Media Group.

She blogs at http://callofthecreator.blogspot.com on anything from fantasy reading and writing to the life of mother and wife. In addition to writing, Rebecca also creates occasional illustrations, three of which will appear in Port yonder Press’s The Book of Silvari: An Anthology of Elves.

Rebecca resides outside Philadelphia, PA with her husband and three sons, whom she is slowly infusing with a love of fantasy, one member at a time.

*What was your journey to publication like? How long has it taken?

My journey from the beginning of writing to being published took a little less than four years from “word one” on Sword of the Patron to the release of the first Windrider book. Shortly after I began writing, I decided my end goal was publication, so once I started, I went at it full throttle. It’s been an amazing time of developing a whole new vocabulary in terms of what I need to know about the industry, unlearning some bad habits, and figuring out where (and where not) to stand my ground. I consider myself privileged to have books out after so short a relative time.

*Who is your favorite character in the Windrider series?

The obvious answer to that one is Vinyanel, of course, but I’ve also been surprised by the sudden magnetism of other characters that crop up, especially some of the new additions in the second book. There’s an assassin character who proves to be a great foil to Vinyanel who’s been fun to develop, as well a slightly dangerous female character who isn’t quite sure whose side she’s on.


*Now that you've joined the ranks of published authors, how do you feel?

Honestly, overwhelmed. The person who told me it’s easier to write a book than it is to sell one was not kidding. I find myself checking Amazon ranks and wondering if anyone has even bought, let alone likes my work, and for a newly published author, sometimes feedback is hard to come by. But I’m also thrilled to have come to a new world in my writing life, and I simply pray my efforts will bear lasting fruit.

*What projects are next?

The next big item that will be monopolizing my attention until the new year will be the editing of my novel, Sword of the Patron (which will be getting a new title, incidentally.) Once that project launches, I will turn my focus to the redrafting of the second book in my novel series, as well as to writing a third Windrider book. Somewhere in there, I might be releasing a novelette set 2500 years before the time of The Windrider, but that project is a little up in the air for me, just because there are so many other items in the queue. It’s all going to be guided by reader demand.


*Any advice for those currently seeking publication?

Attend conferences. Yes, they are expensive, but they are worth the cost from an education and a networking standpoint. I would also specify that smaller conferences are not necessarily less useful. You might get some bigger names teaching at ACFW and the like, but you may be able to network more effectively at a smaller event. The other piece of advice: seek out experienced mentors and apply what they say to you. The comments I got on my manuscript from fantasy author David Wolverton (aka Farland) is what I truly believe took my novel from a few people expressing mild interest to having a bunch of simultaneous requests for the whole shebang.

Thanks, Becky, for joining me at Magical Ink! Readers, you can find the first book in The Windrider series at Smashwords, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble for e-book. Remember, tomorrow on the 22nd, the second book is being released! And I've heard the plan is to release the two books in print next January, so for those who don't do e-books, mark your calendars!

0 responses:

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus