Monday, August 15, 2011

Meet the Author: Peter J. Dudek

Hello everyone! Last week, I reviewed the book City of Prophecy. Today, please welcome its author Peter J. Dudek! :)

Heather: How do you get ideas for stories? Specifically, what gave you the idea for City of Prophecy?

Peter: I'm really intrigued by the spiritual element of the Bible, as well as the spiritual side of us, specifically Christians. We have this amazing Holy Spirit living inside of us, but we don't always recognize it because the physical element of our reality is so overwhelming. I wanted to write a book that highlighted the spiritual nature of humans and the world we live in. This desire was the foundation for City of Prophecy. From there I wove together elements of my own walk with God along with my vivid imagination to create a story in a world where the spiritual is as prevalent and visible as the physical.

H: When did you start writing? Do you feel that God specifically called you to write, or is it something you took up on your own?

P: I wrote my first books when I was about seven. They were about an unlikely bunch of friends (a truck, car, mouse, and dinosaur) who had adventures together. I guess that was also the first time I tinkered with the fantasy genre. From there, a deep love for writing birthed from my deep love for reading. Tolkien, Lewis, Peretti, Dekker and other's captivated me during my teen and early adult years. Eventually, I tried my hand at writing a novel, which became sort of a prelude to the Forsaken Kingdom series. I did little with it, except use it for notes as I developed my series. I can't say there was a day God specifically called me to write, but since He gave me the ability and desire to write, I've always figured He intended me to do so :)

h: Do any of your characters take over the story, or do they generally stay well-behaved?

P: Tarin, is ultimately the central character, so he'll ultimately get the most page time. But he will not overwhelm the story to the point the other characters will be completely overshadowed.

H: Why did you decide to write fantasy?

P: I write fantasy because it gives me the best outlet to merge spiritual elements with the physical in a believable way. Fantasy readers are accustomed to strange beings and plot lines, so I can really be creative when I'm in essence, creating my own world.

h: Which fantasy creature is your favorite?

P: My personal favorite from fantasy literature is probably Gollum from the Lord of the Rings. Not only is he odd, he's extremely complex. From my book, I like the the monster I call the bostt.

H: Did you base any characters off of someone you know personally?

P: Yes, one of the characters I made a lot like myself when I was a teenager, and another, I tried to make like my brother.

H: Who is your favorite character that you've created? That you've read about?

P: My favorite character from my book is probably Gildareth. I've always love the character that, when he or she comes into the scene, you know everything should be OK. In that same vein, from other literature, I like Gandalf from Lord of the Rings.

H: How do you go about writing a book or story?

P: At the time I wrote City of Prophecy, I had a general idea of what I wanted, and just wrote. No outline, little planning, just a lot of writing and seeing where it went. Unfortunately, at the end of a process like that, you have to go back and do a LOT of reworking to make the plot-line work properly. Since then, my current projects, along with the second book in Forsaken Kingdom, I've generated from more detailed outlines.

H: What do you do if you have a severe case of writer's block?

P: I've not really experience writer's block. But I have experience long writing lags due to just getting very busy with life.

H: Can you tell me a little about future projects you have planned?

P: I'm currently starting to think a bit about the third book in the series, and I'm also working on another "non-fantasy" project to help broaden my writing scope.

H: What is your favorite funny writing quote?

P: "Show, don't tell". Not sure if it's really a funny quote, but I think every writer has probably been told that so many times that he has to just laugh at it.

1 responses:

Laura Elizabeth said...

Ha ha! I liked the answer to the last question :D

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus