Monday, August 29, 2011

An inconvenience rightly considered...


Found this quote on Andrew Peterson's (author of On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness and North! Or Be Eaten) website in the "about" section.

So often we think of the grand adventure being out there somewhere, waiting for us, like you have to leave home to find it....'World Traveler' was written about my slow realization that life is just as much an adventure if you're a family man as it is if you're a pirate on the high seas. Every human you meet is a great mystery....

Wow...

That reminds me of one of my all-time favorite quotes from G. K. Chesterton:

An adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.

Three years ago when I found this quote, I resolved to live by it. I resolved to not let inconveniences unsettle me. I also settled down to being content living at home without a job, helping around the house, and diligently pursuing publication while working on "school". Little did I know that when I stopped looking for adventures and began receiving every day life as an adventure, even the inconveniences, that God had major adventures around the corner for me.

Within a few months of resolving to live my life this way, Justin was courting me. And the adventures have never stopped! Some of them haven't been so great--going through the months with Livie having cancer was a pretty dark period of our courtship adventure. Well, and making my mom upset because I was laughing at how we couldn't get of the driveway two winters ago wasn't exactly the best move either. Moving to Michigan was a mixed blessing of easy/hard, because I was finally married to Justin, but I was leaving my family and friends behind. I will never, ever understand how Justin was able to make it through 5 months being here by himself! But Michigan has presented lots of adventures for Justin and me to take together. The biggest one has been our marriage--building and maintaining our relationship, just like when we were courting, but on a much, much deeper level.

When I think about it, a lot of the best adventures of my life have either happened at home or happened because I looked at an "inconvenience" in the right way. Despite living adventures through my characters all the time, I'm very contented to be a stay at home gal. Besides, I'm honestly not brave enough to wave a sword in a dragon's face anyway. :0)

5 responses:

Mary Ruth Pursselley said...

Oh, I bet you'd be surprised at your own bravery if you were put to the test, girlfriend. ; )
Loved this post, and I love the G.K. Chesterton quote too, btw. You've expressed some good thoughts here on how to look at and enjoy life.

Galadriel said...

It reminds me of what I told my brother when we accidentally took the wrong train in Chicago--It's an adventure--one without poison, maiming, weapons, wild beasts, magic, dragons, aliens, snow, heat, or dungeons.

Now, I realize the value of such things in adventures, but I'm trying to ease him into it.

H. A. Titus said...

@Mary: Maaaaybe. Well, one day when that dragon shows up, we'll see. ;)

@Galadriel: I like that! :D

M. L. Archer said...

I think you are made of much tougher stuff than you think! An excellent post!

H. A. Titus said...

Thanks M. L.! :)

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus