Monday, May 2, 2011

Falls The Shadow: Steampunk as You've Never Seen It Before!

Do you remember this post from Janurary?

I've also started a project with LoriAnn and Mary. For now, it's called The Lost Scribes, but we'll see how long that sticks.

*drum roll please*

The Lost Scribes blog is now live! On May 15th, we will begin posting Christian speculative fiction's first multi-authored steampunk novel!

Steampunk is a relatively new speculative fiction genre, at least to the Christian world. I've heard people talk about writing steampunk novels on forums, but I don't know of a single Christian steampunk novel that's been published (if I'm wrong, let me know! I want to read it!). It' a genre that I've fallen in love with--imagine the Victorian era with spaceflight, lots of metal and gears, segues, and laptops. Disney's Treasure Island and Atlantis have steampunk flavors as well as Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. In fact, I think Jules Verne has been called the first author of steampunk.

I absolutely love it. It's such a fun, imaginative genre to play in. What's better is that Mary & LoriAnn were willing to join me. Writing a novel with three different people, from three different characters' points of view, was quite a challenge--but it also made for lots of fun brainstorming phone calls.

I hope that you'll take time to check out The Lost Scribes blog. Right now, there's just a welcome post, but Falls the Shadow will start on May 15th and continue being posted the 1st and 15th of every month. I hope you enjoy reading Falls the Shadow as much as we enjoyed writing it!

Falls the Shadow

Libby Con Brio is the curator of a secret library that has been abandoned before the war.

Galvin Maricossa is an agent in a government's secret society, the White Tiger, who want to destroy all the books they can find.

Skylar Bench is a member of an underground organization, the College, dedicated to restoring education.

In a world devastated by war, where books are used as fuel for fires, these three are drawn together by their love of books and reading. All three face live-changing choices to keep the books, their last chance of bringing their country out from under the White Tiger's thumb, safe.

4 responses:

M. R. Pursselley said...

Yeah! I'm so excited about this project. It's been a lot of fun to work on so far, and I have a feeling it's going to keep being fun for a long time yet!

H. A. Titus said...

Me too!

elkjerkyforthesoul said...

Hello! Just found this page while looking for Christians interested in Steampunk. I'm fairly new to it myself and got into it sort of backwards. I saw the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and wanted to write my own literary tribute. I couldn't really make the graphic novel plan I had originally come to pass but I am at the final edit stage of my Lit Tribute The Alexander Legacy One: A Dodge, a Twist, and a Tobacconist. I am hoping in a couple of days to finish my edits and am hoping for some reader/reviewers. Please let me know if anyone is interested. Here is my facebook fan page. I could use some more likes, even if you are not able to read it all. I have art, excerpts, and Victorian-related stuff there. Please enjoy!
https://www.facebook.com/SophroniaBelleLyon

Elisha Ponio said...

I'm excited to read your collaboration! I myself am looking for Christian steampunk novels, and "Atlantis" and "Treasure Planet" have always been two of my all-time favourite Disney movies.

More power to you and God bless!

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus