Monday, April 4, 2011

To Borrow From Nike

Just do it!

That was my life mantra a couple of weeks ago. I caught a cold on vacation, and so for four days after getting home, I did almost nothing. Dishes piled up and laundry sat unfolded as I sat and watched The Addams Family on Netflix.

Then I realized that not only was the house a wreck, but I needed to finish a short story, because the contest deadline was March 15th. But I didn't feel like writing. I wasn't in the mood. Ack! What was I supposed to do?

I sat down that night and wrote 2,000 words in an hour and a half.

That's just what you have to do sometimes. Sit and write. Do the dishes. Work on school. Clean out the closet. Whatever. Just do it. I'm finding that most of the time, if I say, "OK, I'm just going to get in there and do this" then I end up getting more down than I originally thought I would. With writing, it made me re-excited (is that a word? If not, it should be) about the unfolding story. I ended up finishing it the next night and got started on another story that I need to finish. "Just doing it" made me excited about the writing process all over again.

Maybe I need to tape those three words of wisdom above my writing desk. ;0)

1 responses:

M. R. Pursselley said...

Ha! Me too, Heather. I let a friend talk me into making a bet with her that we would both be able to finish editing our novels in the month of April. Now I'm wondering "What have I gotten myself into? I was crazy to let her talk me into this!"
But you're right. I've got to quit thinking about how crazy I was to get into this in the first place, buckle down, and 'just do it'!
Thanks for the kick start : )

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus