Monday, January 31, 2011

Encouragement 3: Finding Time To Write

Sometimes, I feel like sitting down at the computer is invoking Murphy's Law. Something will go wrong/happen. The phone rings, the tea-kettle boils dry and melts on the stove (yes, this did happen to me), I'm suddenly thirsty, I remember that I've yet to make the bed/fold laundry/get the mail, or Justin gets home/we have to leave to go somewhere (what? It's already 3 o'clock?!). Thankfully we don't yet have pets who choose that second to insist on an outside trip or kids who suddenly get hurt. Those days will come when they come.

How do we find time to write with everything going on?

Here's some tips:

  • Set a specific time to write--and do nothing but write. (I don't personally use this one, as my writing time can change according to Justin's work schedule. However, I do set a time for every day..."OK, today I'm going to get everything done by XXX, and start writing by XXX).
  • Do the "work" first--then play. :0)
  • Make sure that you have everything you need--be it a bottle of water, earbuds, CDs, whatever--before you sit down. Then limit your breaks to absolute necessity.
  • Set a goal for the week, and stick to it. Most people use a witing goal. That's too intimidating for me, so I set chapter goals...finish Chapter 1 by this day, chapter 2 by this day, and so forth.

I hope these encouragement posts have helped you kick-start your new year of writing! What are your goals for the year?

0 responses:

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus