Monday, January 24, 2011

Encouragement 2: Discoveredaphobia

I have this strange illness. It afflicts only writers. It's technical name is Procrastination Due to Beingdiscoveredaphobia. Commonly, it's referred to as Discoveraphobia. What are the symptoms of this illness? It affects the writer's creative processes, slows down the fingertips on the keyboard, and can cause bouts of irrational irritation, anger, depression, or fits of staring at a blank page or computer screen. It may also result in throwing things at the best target, so if you know any writer afflicted with this horrifying disease, please use caution in entering the room said writer occupies at the moment.

All silliness aside, I really do think some authors have a fear of "making it". I know that sometimes, in the deep dark night when I can't sleep, my brain starts whirling. I think, Can I really do this?

Can I be a successful author, a loving wife, AND a homeschool mom without sacrificing anything?

What if my first book is a total flop and no one ever signs me on again?

What if critics hate it?

What if...what if...can I...can't I...should I...and the list goes on. I get up the next morning, cranky because of my sleepless night, kiss Justin off to work, do housework, finally get to sit at the computer...and nothing comes. I get crankier and crankier, because I know I should be working, not scanning blogs or checking email and Facebook every five seconds. But nothing will come, because there's that little evil voice in me, saying: If you never finish a book, you'll never have send anything out. You'll never have to face the rejection, the scorn, the poor sales. You won't have to worry about not fulfilling your duties as a wife/mother/daughter/friend.

And on and on... Ech.

The thing is, procrastinating will get you nowhere. It only results in less time for the tasks that have to be done. Not only that, but procrastinating because you're afraid of the future is not what God created you for. As a writer, God created you with a love to explore, to think, to create, to ask what if. The problem is, if we ask what if in our own future, that can focus our attention on that, causing us to forget what God wants us to do here and now. Don't worry about the future--let God handle it and trust that He'll give you the strength and resources necessary to deal with what comes when it comes. Don't let worry lock up your creativity.

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more than clothes?...Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?...Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:25, 27, and 33-34

0 responses:

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus