Monday, October 18, 2010

Learning to Listen

I hear it everywhere; Christians write novels to say something to the world. Christian publishers want a "purpose statement" for books. For some time, I rebelled against that. Why, I thought, does everything have to have a "message"? Can't Christians just have FUN? Why can't I just say, "I write because God called me to it, I enjoy it, and I want to give Christians more options for enjoyable fantasy novels"?

Slowly, I started trying to figure out why I wrote, if for nothing than to satisfy whatever publisher I eventually contracted with. Over the last couple of weeks, though, God has shown me why He's called me to write.

I started a Bible study called "Write His Answer: A Bible Study For Authors". It's amazing. I love it, and I'm only a few days into it. The first verse that it mentions as applying to a writer is Habbakuk 2: 1-2: "I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts; I will look to see what He will say to me, and what answer I am to give to this complaint. Then the Lord replied: 'Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it.'"

Oh.

Never mind then, Lord. All that complaining I did? Please ignore that.

I know neither Tolkien or Lewis wrote with a message in mind--however, their beliefs shone through. At the VERY least, my stories should shine the light of Christ. I think some of them will do that and only that. However, I think I understand now what God wants me to show in my stories.

My blog header says it all.

I'm concerned with how lax and conformist Christians have become. That's not to say that I don't struggle with the same things, although by very nature of who I am, a conservative Christian homeschooler, I'm very nonconformist. I want to show a struggle between light and darkness that is very tangible. I want to remind people that evil is real and without being on our guard, we will be struck down. I want to provide people with heroes who look up to the Ultimate Hero.

By learning to listen, I now have direction in my writing. That is a wonderful thing.

1 responses:

Galadriel said...

Can you give us a link for that Bible study? Pleaseeeeeeee!

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus