Monday, July 12, 2010

The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye

Storyline: A seventh princess has been born into the royal family of Phantasmorania, and her name is Amethyst Alexandra Augusta Araminta Adelaide Aurelia Anne. She promises to be the most beautiful and good-natured of all of her family, as is tradition—but a kindly old fairy godmother, Crustecea, changes all that. With a wave of her wand, Crustacea proclaims, "You shall be Ordinary." And the princess was.

She grows up known to her family as Amy and everyone else the Ordinary Princess. When no one will marry her because she looks so ordinary, the king thinks about drastic measures such as princess-kidnapping dragons. Amy discovers the plot and runs away to stay in the forest. She really does have a very extraordinary adventure for such an Ordinary Princess!

My Take:

This is a cute, fairy tale that defies the mold. Instead of long, luxurious curls and blue eyes, Amy has mousey brown hair and brown eyes. She's a tomboy and is absolutely determined to enjoy herself, whether she's ordinary or not.

It's not a very long book, only 112 pages, and neither is it an amazingly written one. But it's always refreshing to read this book because it's such a light-hearted little fantasy. And it's very heartening to know that Amy, even though she's ordinary just like most of us, does finds true love.

Rating: five of five stars

4 responses:

Galadriel said...

Sounds interesting. I am normally wary of anti-sterotype tales, but I might just read this one/

Fopias said...

talking of fairy/princess stories have you ever read Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine? I LOVE that book. Laura L. has told me for a very long time that I should read it, so I finally did, and it's definitely my of any fairytale story that I have ever read. If you haven't read it definitely check it out. Then let me know what you think.

Heather said...

Galadriel: I usually prefer anti-stereotypical stories.

Fopias: YES! I read that one a long time ago...I should probably read it again sometime. :0) Don't watch the movie though...*gag*

The Traveler said...

hey now--Ella Enchanted the movie wasn't as good as the book, and it was nearly a different story altogether. But you must admit that the "I-have-to-kill-you-because-I-was-ordered-to-and-the-only-thing-that-will-stop-me-is-breaking-the-curse" scene in the hall of mirrors is AWESOME.

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus