Monday, April 26, 2010

Writing Update

Well, spring is finally here in the UP, which means some days slightly warm enough to go outside and write. I rode my bike down to the park a few days ago and enjoyed writing beside a fountain in the shade of some pine trees. And it turned out to be the most productive time I've had for a while!

Justin and I also went hiking a few days ago. We discovered a wonderful sand beach, and not many miles away from it, a gorgeous waterfall that I promptly claimed for my Elvish country. Don't you agree it looks very Elvish?

I can just imagine a cave underneath it, or an Elvish hermit's house tucked back in the woods on the other side of the river. We could feel the spray from it if the wind was just right. I would have loved to sit there and write for a day!!

Half Blood is going well. It's about 40,000 words long and I'm hoping to have it completely finished by the end of this month. It's been a longer journey than I ever expected--I was hoping for a storyline to get at most 10 parts, and I'm still going strong on Part 22! My character Jokk sprang a surprise on my the other day while I was writing. While I like the story twist, it's going to take my another couple of parts to straighten things out between characters. :0) Sometimes my characters drive me crazy! I also changed the part titles on Apricotpie to include the chapter titles. I usually don't like and don't write with chapter titles, because I have a hard time making up titles that don't sound cliche or completely give away what happens in the chapter. But I came up with a few that I really like. What do you guys think?

And my friend LoriAnn was kind enough to create this cover for Half Blood. I like it a lot! Mount Arborn jutting in the background, Fleet soaring--and the guy looks pretty close to my main character. She did an excellent job!

(A disclaimer: this is not the official cover for Half Blood. LoriAnn cut elements from other pictures she found on the internet. Neither of us are making any money from this picture).

I've gone back to editing The Second Crown, the novel that I'll have been working on or (come October) six or seven years. I'm rewriting the first chapter and after that I hope that all I have to do is to edit and maybe do a smidgen of rewriting. I know this novel seems like it's taking forever, but I'm determined to finish it by the end of this year, if not have it out to publishers. I'm so ready to be done with it!!! That's one of the reasons I'm pushing myself so hard with Half Blood.

I'm also writing a series of comical essays entitled "Conversations With Characters". It's about writing Half Blood and all the imaginary (or not so imaginary) conversations and arguments I've had with my characters.

So, what has your writing been like? Any insights on the world of editing, or funny stories about wrestling with character attitudes?

3 responses:

Galadriel said...

I agree--that's a beautiful waterfall. And I'd love to know about the /not/ imaginary conversations...trust me, I have those all the time.

The Traveler said...

Hey, thanks for posting my pic! LOL--yes, I know this was a while back, but I'm just now reading...
Greetings from D.C.!

Galadriel said...

Very cool cover image, LoriAnn.

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus