Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Kindle Technology

I recently read a very good post at Rachelle Gardner's agent blog about how she doesn't think any of the new e-readers (Sony E-Reader, Kindle, etc) will replace books.

I totally agree!


Which mind sound a little weird, because I'm usually up for any new technology that comes out. For instance, I think that iPods and mp3 players are the best invention since the wheel (OK, slight exaggeration) and I wouldn't mind having all the bells and whistles of a BlackBerry phone.

But, I've also read books online--several Sherlock Holmes, an Agatha Christie, The Christmas Carol, and Worlds Unseen by Rachel Starr Thompson (which I will soon be doing a review of). And I just couldn't get into them.

Usually, I don't passively read an Agatha Christie--I'm trying to run ahead of her, figure out the clues, and generally outdo Miss Marple or Hercule Poroit. But in the one I read online, I just sat there and read. I couldn't get into it.

There's nothing that beats a book in my hands--the feel of it, the smell of it, especially if it's an old book. As for having a Bible on a Kindle, I say there's really nothing that can beat having a print Bible, along with your own highlights and notes. I also enjoy having two bookshelves in my room that are overflowing with books. Yes, it makes it a little messy, but I think there's aesthetic value in a room that has shelves full of books (of course, ask my future siblings-in-law, most of whom don't like reading, and they'd probably say there's nothing scarier. :0)

However, I can see where having a Kindle would be useful. Rachelle talks about using her Kindle to read client manuscripts and edit them. Wow! That would save me quite a bit of money on paper and ink--because I can't edit using the computer (I've tried). I think there's something so satisfactory about being able to make utter chaos of manuscript pages, go back, and re-enter them, making it even more beautiful than before!

So, yes, I see a need and a use for e-readers. I wouldn't mind having one too much if they came waaaaayy down in price (like all the other technology I like). But, if not, it's not going to ruin my life--I'm perfectly content with paper, ink, and a good book in hand.

How about you?

5 responses:

Kyleigh said...

I can't stand reading things online. I'll read blogs, but if I have trouble following an article I'll print it out. If it's longer than about 2 pages I usually have to print it out. I don't focus as well - some stuff on AP I have to read over 3 times before I get it, whereas on paper I'd get it right away.
You can't underline when you read on the computer, and the computer doesn't smell (I go around smelling books. The old ones smell the best).
When I edit, I often print stuff out to mark it up, I catch more things that way.

I like the new layout. :)

Fopias said...

I would never give up books!!!! Sometimes I can read things on the computer, but it strains my eyes if it's long, and like you said there's just something about the personal, real feel of a book! I love my overflowing bookshelf (and the bookshelves our family has all over the house) and I'd never want to give them up. Though as you say I could see some uses for online programs...but real, physical books...there's nothing like 'em!

Anonymous said...

My dad has a Kindle DX, and my younger sister has a Kindle 2. I'm going to get one, but I'm still going to keep on reading bound books. However, a kindle is way different from reading something online. For one thing, there's no glare from the backlight (I know how it is reading things on a computer; the Kindle is nothing like it). Also, the pages are about the size of a book page, and you can turn pages; you don't have to scroll down or click anything. I think it's really neat, and it has enabled my dad to read a whole lot more at work (without getting his Bible pages stinky with cigarette smoke from the other employees. Bleh). However, I also agree that there's no beating the feel of a real book in your hands, and smelling old book, and curling up in a snug corner and reading and turning pages. It's also much easier to flip back in a book (I don't think you just turn to any page in your Kindle. There's a home button which takes you to the table of contents, and then you can go to any chapter that you want, but not whatever page you want). The Kindle has helped my sister read way more than she ever did before, but if I get one, I don't think it will stop my reading of ordinary books.
---Laura
P.S. Sorry this was so long :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, forgot to say that you can underline on the Kindle, and make notes.
---Laura

Heather said...

Kyleigh: LOL. Sometimes I'm just like that on a regular day! :0) I admit, nonfiction is difficult for me to pay attention to anyway, and online it's almost a lost cause.

Fopias: I hear ya, girl!!

Laura: Hey, thanks for chiming in! I definitely think Kindles have some good points. I think I could easily edit my manuscripts on a Kindle, because it'd be pretty close to a paper version.

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus