Monday, December 14, 2009

A Christmas of Classics 2009

To me, there are several tings that really enhance the Christmas season. One would be snow, of course, but we don't get a white Christmas very often in southwest Missouri. Maybe next year! (Although in Michigan, they consider it a "brown Christmas" if it's not snowing on Christmas Day.)

 

Another thing that makes me think of Christmas is curling up somewhere warm (preferably a fire) with a snuggly blanket, a mug of mint hot chocolate or chai tea, and a book--preferably an old book, with thick, yellow pages and that wonderful, musty smell. If you're like me, you wish that they made a perfume called "Old Book" or something! ;0)

 

So, to celebrate Christmas, every year I'm going to list some books that I enjoy and are my personal list of "classics". Some them really are considered classics, some (probably most) aren't, and some of them might not even fall into the "old books" category.

 

Enjoy!

 

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Lilith by George MacDonald

When a Man's a Man by Harold Bell Wright

Shepherd of the Hills by Harold Bell Wright

Brewster's Millions by George Barr McCutcheon

Penrod by Booth Tarkington

A Common Life by Jan Karon

 

I encourage you to check out some of these books. Harold Bell Wright is little known, but some of his books are amazing!! And McCutcheon and Tarkington's books are both hilarious.

 

(As a side note, we got our Christmas tree up, finally! Yay!)

 

Merry Christmas everyone!

2 responses:

Fopias said...

I've read all the Chronicles, and Shepherd of the Hills is really good! The Highlander's Last Song is my fav. of MacDonald's that I've read, but I've not read Lilith. I haven't read the others...so I'll put them on my list! :D (I love good books)

~Fopias

Laura said...

Hi, Heather! Of course, I love LWW (I defy anyone who doesn't. LOL), but I tried to read Lilith, and it, if you'll forgive me for saying it, was boring in the extreme. I did like The Princess and the Goblin, though. As for the other books, I've never heard of them before :) Merry Christmas!

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus