Monday, November 2, 2009

Enjoying Having Written VS Enjoying Writing

Some author once said that they enjoyed "having written."

 

I thought, that's not right! How can someone who writes for a living not enjoy the process of writing? Of putting words to paper?

 

I guess that comes from where my perspective is--which is enjoying it while I'm writing. If I didn't enjoy the physical action of tapping keys on my computer or moving a pen across paper; if I didn't enjoy seeing the scenes of the story unfold in my head like movies; if I didn't enjoy delving into a character's mind to see what drives them--then I wouldn't be writing today.

 

I honestly don't understand, with the commitments and hardships of writing, how anyone can enjoy having written but not enjoy writing. To me, there is such a joy, especially as my fingers move so fast I can barely keep up with them, and my thoughts flow from my brain to the page faster than I knew I could think.

 

There are hardships in writing, yes. There are times I want to tear my hair out in frustration (oh, no, wait I can't do that any more--Justin wouldn't like it if I pulled my hair out. :0) )  But without the joy that writing gives me I don't think I could get through the hard times. I'd have thrown in the towel a long, long time ago!

 

What about you? Do you enjoy writing, or do you enjoy reading over what you have written better?

2 responses:

Mary Hawkins said...

Tough question- there's nothing more satisfying than dropping into bed at some ungodly hour of the night (or morning) after hours of writing feverishly, knowing that "it's done!" It's just right! The accomplished feeling of a story completed is hard to beat.
Almost nothing. The feeling of living daring adventures, conquering the odds, overcoming the obstacles through my characters, is the only thing that could even come close to beating "The End".
Such a hard question. Is it more fun to be living the adventure, or to have lived it?

Jeannine Kinsey said...

I've seen that quotation before and had thoughts similar to yours. I have to admit, even when I'm completely exasperated with my plot, I still love the writing aspect of "having written". It's only when I have put off writing or practicing that I find it a drudgery - like trying to ride a bike uphill with gears that need oiling.
Anyhoo, I suppose I am sort of new to your blog. I suppose you could say that I'm a long time reader, first time commenter. I discovered it a while ago on Apricot Pie (where all good writers meet ;) ). I thoroughly enjoy your posts, especially posts on writing such as this one. Keep up the good work (that sounds so corny, but it is heartfelt).

God bless!

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus