Monday, September 21, 2009

A Gripe About the Paranormal Fiction Craze

I am so sick of hearing about "paranormal" YA books. Especially vampire books, fluttering and flopping along in the wake of the highly successful Twilight series.

 

First off, why can't people be original? Feature something other than vampires, if paranormal fiction is necessary to write at all?

 

And secondly, I'm sickened that Christians are sucked into the mire of these books. No matter that they advocate sanctity of life or whatever. The first I ever heard of the Twilight series was last summer, when a girl in my cabin at Camp Barnabas was reading...I think it was the second one in the series. Anyway. A Christian camp! To say I was mildly shocked is a gross understatement.

 

What is it about these books that have appeal to Christians? I doubt that most Christians wouldn't be caught dead reading earlier authors of the genre (such as Ann Rice). Just because they happen to advocate something that Christians agree with...gag. It doesn't mean we have to give our whole-hearted support!

 

The whole idea to me of vampires existing and being "good" is ludicrous. Is our Christian culture so sunken as that?

 

Back in the days of silent and black and white film, there were the Dracula movies--and books--that portrayed vampires as evil. These were secular horror films that still recognized the evilness of vampires.

 

"Everything is permissible--but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible--but not everything is constructive." ~1st Corinthians 10:23

 

In my Bible (NIV), that verse is under the heading "The Believer's Freedom." Yes, the Bible doesn't specifically mention vampire or paranormal fiction. Yes, since we are Believers in Christ, and Christ has cleansed us, "everything is permissible." Christ can cover everything we've ever done and will do.

 

But "not everything is beneficial" or "constructive." How might you be harming yourself by reading these books? Where will it lead? What will it look like to non-believers who see you reading something like the Twilight series and think, "Oh, these Christians, they're just like me"?

 

The fact is, we're NOT "just like them." We're different, called to be different, marked to be different. We're to be in the world but not of the world.

 

Don't let yourselves be fooled by this trend. I truly believe that vampires are evil, witches are evil...and so is paranormal fiction, because it focuses on them.

10 responses:

Mary Hawkins said...

My sentiments exactly. Sadly, I know a lot of Christian people who rave about the Twilight books and have told me that I should read them.

Anonymous said...

I love my book nerd!
Love ya, Heather!
Justin

Heather said...

Love my weather nerd, Justin! :0)
Mary: I guess I could've condensed this entire post to one word: yuck. :0)

Anonymous said...

Yuck!! you write i love you all over everything don't you?!?

Heather said...

LOL yeah, cause I want the whole world to know that I love Justin! :0)

Anonymous said...

Hannah is writing comments on your blog without telling you it is her!
I love you too!
Justin

Heather said...

Yeah, I figured it was her or Sarah or Jake--banked more on Hannah though. Tell her that she'll understand one day. Not that it'll do any good... :0P

Anonymous said...

Thea,

This is one of the best posts you have ever done. Thanks for having the courage to speak out against the "popular", in favor of the true and good. Be prepared to take some heat for it, but stand firm.

~whatever is good, whatever is desirable, think about such things~

R.

Kara said...

Heather! I heard that you had an exciting event occur yesterday, congratulations! Waiting for a post...:D

Heather said...

Thanks R.

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus