Monday, May 18, 2009

Your Thoughts on True Heroes

Heroes are a huge part of what I write about. Lately, I've been wondering--what constitutes a true hero? I'll probably be elaborating on my thoughts at some point on this blog, but here's, in a nutshell, what I think a true hero is:
"Folks in those stories had lots of chances
of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept
goin' cause they were holdin' onto
somethin'...there's some good in this
world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fightin' for."
Sam Gamgee, Return of the King
So, what do you think is a true hero? Sometime soon, I'll be including my friend Lz S's definition of a true hero, as well as other thoughts and maybe an essay about it. Please leave your thoughts in the comments section! Thanks!!

4 responses:

Mocha said...

I'm testing to see if I got this fixed :)

Tornado Chaser said...

Yay, comments are working again!!! Where to start...
I think a true hero is someone who sticks by a friend through the roughest of times, even when it is hard to do so.
Love ya lots!!!
Justin

Heather said...

Thanks for fixing, Mocha! And TC, that's definitely one aspect of being a true hero...love ya lots too!

drumofadifferentbeat said...

I've actually had a blog post on this subject sitting around in my drafts box for over a year.
Whoops.

I'll quote parts of my draft:
"Today in my history lecture, Dr. Grant was talking about distinguishing between heroes and villains - because sometimes the villain starts out with a good cause, like the navigators in the 15th century - they came up with all sorts of amazing navigation tools, but because of their inventions the African slave trade began."

I went on a bit of a tangent about using my talents to "do hard things"
"I can still write books, hopefully that will appeal to a wide variety of people... and set before them characters with Christian morals and the Christian faith who they'll hopefully look up to as heroes.
Okay, so what really IS a hero? I mean, if I want characters that will be heroes... I don't want them to be super-human people. But I don't want them to be completely normal - in modernity, a Christian is not normal."

I think that a hero is really just someone that is a servant, willing to lay down their life for someone else. That's why we call people "war heroes" isn't it?

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus