Friday, May 15, 2009

Homeschool Rally In Jeff City

Yesterday Mom, Josh, Hannah, and I drove up to Jefferson City to to a homeschool rally in protest of Senate Bill 291. Our friends to Ss(Liz's family) and Ts (Monica's family) were there too.
Our main concern was a section in the bill that required compulsory attendance in Missouri not until age sixteen, but until sixteen credits had been achieved toward high school. Because of the wording in the bill, we were afraid that people would interpret it as applying to homeschoolers as well as public schoolers. Bad? Definitely. That would mean that the state would have control over when us homeschooled students could graduate.
Of course the politicians who came out to speak to the 2,500 homeschoolers gathered on the capitol building lawn said that they never even thought that it could affect homeschoolers, yada yada. Forgive me if I don't have much faith in politicians! :0) Anyway, long and short of it is that they passed the bill with an amendment adding that homeschoolers weren't affected by the bill.
So, mission accomplished. I've never wished for a Blackberry phone so much before! I wanted to do updates on my blog as we got there and immediately following. Oh well. The important point is that we showed up and let the politicians know we disapproved, and we made them scramble to fix it. :0)
It bugged me that there was almost no media coverage too. Oh well...I gues you can't expect it all, huh?

0 responses:

Translate

All blog content copyrighted 2012 by H. A. Titus